Monday, February 22, 2010

Treasure!

Just out of range of this picture of bedroom # 5 is a wicked cool surprise. Let's play multiple choice.

The surprise is:
A) Pirate Gold.
B) Severed Human Hand.
C) Mr. Freckles, Cat Lady's missing tabby.
D) Secret Room.

Unfortunately for all, the answer is merely D) Secret Room.

From the inside it looks like bedroom #5 is just small. But I got crazy and angle-grinded a hole in a wall I felt shouldn't be there (to the left of this picture) to see what was on the other side of the plaster and lath.

Et voila! Another 400 sq. feet of space! It looks like the original builders back in 1912 either got bored, ran out of wood for the floor, or needed a place to seal off the bodies of their enemies. And here we are today.

If I tear down this wall and clear out the old shredded-paper insulation they spread across the floor joists, not only will I 400 extra square feet of space on the 3rd floor once i put down new subfloor, I will also have easy access to the ceiling of bedroom #1 for electrical installation!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys, Frank Kelly here, from Ireland. Jessica Kirkpatrick is a friend and put me onto this blog. It's always been something of a dream of mine to buy and renovate an old house, so hope you don't mind if I follow you on your adventure! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should call it the Goat Room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd take 400 more sq. ft. with only having to add a sub floor. Score!

    ReplyDelete